Cathejell® Jelly 2%
50 Years of Trusted Use
Cathejell® was developed in 1971 by Montavit Pharma in Austria after discussion with urologists. Cathejell® was designed to specifically meet the catheterization needs of doctors and patients in terms of easy to use, patient safety, and comfort.
For 50 years Cathejell® has been a been a trusted product used by healthcare professionals and patients for catheterization.
Cathejell® single hand accordion syringe
When you need to self-catheterize, choosing the right lubricant is important to reduce risk of pain or injury. Cathejell® was designed to be easy to use and with safety, and comfort in mind.
- Clever syringe design allows one handed opening and preparation for use – keeping it sterile.
- Pain and injury can be caused by stretching of the urethra to open it, and by friction as the catheter enters it.1 Cathejell’s accordion style syringe allows you to inject lubrication with low initial pressure to gently open the urethra and lubricate the lining, creating a lubricated path to insert the catheter, reducing the risk of pain and injury.
- The highly viscous (thick) lubricating gel gently expands the urethra and adheres to the surface lining. This provides a protective coating of lubricant making it easier to insert and remove the catheter with less risk of pain or injury.
- Cathejell’s lubricating gel also has an anesthetic to further reduce the risk of pain for a more comfortable experience.
The Importance of
Lubrication When Catheterizing
Watch this video to gain more understanding of the important role that lubrication plays in creating a more comfortable experience when you catheterize.
The video explains the risks of having too little lubricating gel and how having enough can help reduce the risk of pain or injury.
Where Can You Purchase Cathejell?
- Cathejell can be bought from any retail pharmacy without a prescription.
- You will have to ask the pharmacist for it, since it is a behind the pharmacy counter.
- If it is not in stock, the pharmacist can order it in for you from their wholesaler.
- Cathejell is available in boxes of 25 pre-filled sterile syringes from retail pharmacies.
This product may not be right for you. Always read and follow the label and consult your healthcare provider regularly to discuss whether this medicine is working for you and if it is causing you any unwanted effects.
- Tzortzis et al, Intraurethral Lubricants: A Critical Literature Review and Recommendations, Journal of Endurology, Vol 23, Number 5, May 2009 p 821-826